Dallas Veterans Affairs is Hiring a Medical Librarian
Librarian (Biological and Medical Sciences)
VETERANS AFFAIRS, VETERANS HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Dallas, TX
Work Schedule is Full-Time – Permanent
Opened Tuesday 6/6/2017(1 day(s) ago)
Closes Monday 6/12/2017(5 day(s) away)
$58,399.00 to $75,923.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade
Who May Apply
Job Announcement Number
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln’s promise: “To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan” – by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) needs employees who possess the energy, compassion, and commitment to serve those who served our Country. Whatever the job title, every position in VA will give you a chance to make a meaningful and personal contribution to the lives of truly special and deserving people – our Veterans. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. Working for VA is one of the most emotionally satisfying and professionally rewarding ways to dedicate the best within you to your Country’s service. If you are transitioning from the military or a Veteran already, we invite you to explore the benefits of continuing your career at the VA. The VA is committed to hiring Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission.
The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define “who we are,” our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence (“I CARE”). America’s Veterans need you!
Employee will serve as a Librarian (Biological & Medical Sciences) assigned to Library Service located at the North Texas Veterans Health Care System in Dallas, TX. Duties will include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Administration: plans, operates and administers the library program utilizing knowledge of medical librarianship. Develops and maintains library collection, resolving complex serials (journal) problems, and ensures computerized databases are up-to-date with current materials. Performs descriptive, cataloging and classification of materials. Ensures compliance with Joint Commission directives/standards as they apply to medical library program. Promotes the library through briefings, newsletters, effective contacts and serves liaison for sharing resources. Monitors fund control activity for the budget; determines equipment, materials, and library items needs.
- Reference/Research: Conducts comprehensive and complex searches of medical literature utilizing knowledge of National Library of Medicine (NLM), Online Computer Library of Congress (LC) terminology and indexing schemes, printing indices, and computerized optical disk databases, and use of a variety of medical subject heading structures, medical terminology, logic of search formulation, and coverage in terms of years, languages, information, formats, and subject specialties. Reformulates search strategies, provides answers to requests for biomedical information (e.g., factual data, statistics, biographical/bibliographic information), often necessitating contacts with Center for Disease Control or various agencies of the National Institute of Health. Provides readers advisory services and advice on selection of books and periodicals within their fields. Maintains an extensive reference collection of indexes, abstracts, directories, almanacs, dictionaries, handbooks, drug formularies covering clinical and military medicine and health care services. Maintains and oversees an extensive automated interlibrary Loan Program conducted throughout various healthcare systems, other regions, external library programs and locations. Trains hospital staff on the based use of automated indices and computerized texts, journals and programs.
- Technical: Oversees the selection, acquisition, and cataloging of books and serials.
- Audio/Visuals: Develops and maintains extensive audio and visual collections to support the training and continuing medical education needs of hospital staff. Collection is based on professional expertise and input from managers and consists of video tapes slides, other media, audiovisual materials deemed suitable to support a wide spectrum of medical specialties and professions. Develops a policy for acquisition of audiovisual material for reference and circulation.
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 8:00am – 4:30pm
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.