Baker Botts L.L.P. has an open position for Research Librarian in Dallas
JOB CODE: 14013
FLSA CODE: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Regional Library Services Manager
The purpose of this position is to provide research and reference services to firm lawyers and staff in support of service to firm clients and the firm’s business development efforts. This position is part of a team that covers requests from multiple locations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs specialized and in-depth research for lawyers and clients using a variety of electronic and print resources. Projects may include in-depth patent law research; litigation tracking and judicial research; literature research in legal, business, medical/scientific, and technical resources; business intelligence research; company and industry profiles.
- Creates and delivers basic and advanced library instruction to new lawyers and staff in person and via WebEx.
- Supports the firm’s usage of legal and business databases by securing credentials, coordinating introductory and recurring training, and trouble-shooting technical issues.
- Assists with collection development by evaluating information needs, research requests, available resources, and usage patterns. Provides input on addition of new resources and removal of resources no longer needed.
- Assists with collection maintenance duties including the ordering and cataloging of books, routing serials, shelving materials, and, periodically, filing updates and loose-leaf materials.
- Maintains relationships with lending libraries and document retrieval services. Manages inter-library loans with participating libraries.
- Assists with financial management of the library by reviewing and confirming invoices, and allocating expenses to appropriate accounts.
- Other projects and duties as assigned by direct supervisor and other Library Services Managers.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to understand and perform legal research.
- Strong skills with a variety of legal research platforms.
- Strong work ethic and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work well with internal and external clients.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, problem solving skills, and attention to detail.
Knowledge and Skills
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or related field and 3 years of experience. Law or professional services firm experience is preferred.
- Substantial experience using major legal and business databases/research platforms, including Westlaw, Lexis, Bloomberg Law, Docket Navigator, Questel/Orbit, Capital IQ, CCH Intelliconnect.
- Strong familiarity with basic legal treatises.
- Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification scheme.
- Significant experience using automated library systems. InMagic Genie experience preferred.
- Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite. Strong technical aptitude and ability to learn new applications and research tools quickly.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously, perform under tight time deadlines, and flexibly to adjust to changing priorities.
- Ability to self-manage and also work in team environment.
- Qualified candidates should apply at bakerbotts.com, where there is a career page for staff positions.
Baker Botts L.L.P. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.