Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP seeks a Dallas research librarian
Research Librarian Job at Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP in Dallas, Texas
We are seeking a Research Librarian/Analyst to join our team. In this role, the Research Librarian/ Analyst will conduct on-demand research in support of attorneys, staff, and referred clients; conceive and execute research strategies that balance conflicting needs for speed, accuracy and cost-control; coordinate the production of competitive intelligence related to key clients, strategic targets, practice groups, industry groups and subject specific initiatives, as well as key markets and competitors; analyze, synthesize and distill facts and data into user-friendly reports and provide objective and actionable insights; communicate and teach research strategies; and serve as an information clearinghouse to facilitate knowledge sharing throughout the firm. The hours of this role will be 11:00 a.m.–7:30 p.m. or 12:00 p.m.–8:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
In accordance with the Firm’s Client Service Initiatives, a Research Librarian/Analyst must display good judgment and effective interpersonal communications. Confidentiality and discretion are required consistently.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Independently and accurately conduct efficient, cost-effective legal and non-legal research using print, fee-based online and free electronic sources.
- Synthesize divergent, and sometimes contradictory, research into cohesive written and oral communications.
- Add value to information retrieval projects by providing analysis, emphasizing key data, culling extraneous information and being alert to late breaking developments.
- Manage and coordinate the production of competitive intelligence related to key clients, strategic targets, practice groups, industry groups and subject specific initiatives, as well as key markets and competitors.
- Provide market research to the Marketing Department, and to strategic committees of the firm, in the form of alerts, information on new business contacts, identify markets and industries, as well as provide competitive analyses.
- Manage the collection, analysis and interpretation of relevant market and competitor data, both quantitative and qualitative from internal and external sources.
- Analyze, synthesize and distill facts and data into user-friendly reports and provide objective and actionable insights.
- Work closely with the library team to integrate and promote electronic and print research tools.
- Serve as a liaison to practice and/or industry groups.
- Teach attorneys effective research techniques using print and electronic resources; assist attorneys in framing and solving their information needs.
- Develop, achieve and evaluate departmental goals.
- Identify, anticipate and prepare for future library needs.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Leverage knowledge of firm-wide research and business development related projects to help identify potential cross-selling opportunities.
- Provide information clearinghouse functions by letting attorneys know when other attorneys are researching the same material or pitching to the same prospect.
- Create and teach courses on research topics to support firm goals.
- Remain current in information profession and new products by attending professional association meetings or conferences.
- Promote and maintain effective intra- and interdepartmental working relationships.
- Identify and locate relevant books and articles from internal and external sources.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and requirements may vary from time to time.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of legal and business information, research creation and distribution processes.
- Familiarity with competitive intelligence and business analysis concepts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; specifically teaching, public speaking, interviewing and writing skills to effectively support attorneys by identifying their information needs, explaining options and producing clearly written research products.
- Experience researching across a broad range of industries, business entities, geographies and markets.
- Proficiency in using legal and non-legal research services such as Westlaw and Lexis; ability to learn numerous secondary online services such as Bloomberg Law, Wolters Kluwer Cheetah and RIA/Checkpoint, as well as various litigation and business development tools.
- Knowledge of government, legal, and business sources of information and terminology.
- Ability to work under only general supervision.
- Ability to work independently and as a team to support multiple offices of the firm.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment.
- Ability to set priorities and handle multiple tasks under pressure.
- Significant amount of typing; significant time spent in front of a computer monitor.
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to adjust and adapt quickly to changing situations.
- Ability to work with detailed information accurately and efficiently.
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Is responsive and sensitive to internal and external deadlines.
- Extremely consistent in producing quality work.
- Client service-driven towards internal and external clients.
- Unbiased judgment, sound discretion, and openness to the views of others.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong relationships.
- Willing to accept ownership of projects and be successful in driving those projects, as well as daily tasks, to a successful conclusion.
- Ability to interact with people in a manner which shows sensitivity, tact, and professionalism.
- Must quickly grasp the goals, service, culture and strategy of both the office and the firm overall.
- Must conduct him/herself professionally in appearance and actions; must set a positive example for all personnel and support a collegial and collaborative work environment.
- Adhere to and serve as a role model for the firm’s Client Service Standards.
- Flexible and dependable with the ability to work overtime as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Master’s Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA accredited library school.
- Minimum of three years professional library experience in a law firm, corporate or professional services environment.
- Competitive/Business Intelligence experience preferred.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer Employer and we offer an excellent total compensation package, which includesmedical/dental coverage (PPO/HD), vision care, life insurance, short and long-term disability plans, 401(k) with employer match, paid vacation/holiday/sick days, wellness programs and more.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send their cover letter, including salary requirements, and their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing Research Librarian in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be considered.